Huntsville, AL – The City of Huntsville and the Parks and Recreation Department are celebrating Park and Recreation Month - known this year in a national campaign as “Super July.” The initiative, organized by the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), aims to spread awareness of the many ways parks and recreation offerings transform the daily lives of citizens. From providing places to get fit and stay healthy to fostering new relationships and forging a connection with nature, close-to-home community park and recreation facilities provide essential services and significantly improve the quality of life for all in the city of Huntsville.
“Public parks, recreation facilities and city-organized athletic leagues provide our citizens with a healthy, affordable and productive way to spend their free time,” Huntsville’s Mayor Tommy Battle said. “We know that in order to continue to drive Huntsville’s successful economic engine, we must continue to have appealing quality of life offerings, and thanks to our Parks and Recreation Department, our citizens, visitors and future Huntsville residents have a wide variety of choices throughout the entire city.”
Steve Ivey, Director of Parks and Recreation, is looking forward to citizens using this opportunity to explore the city’s numerous park and recreation offerings.
“Park and Recreation month is an excellent way to show the Huntsville community the wide range of parks, greenways, recreation centers, athletics and events at their disposal thanks to the work of the City of Huntsville’s Parks and Recreation Department.”
#SuperParkSelfieHsv Social Media Campaign
The National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) is celebrating the month by hosting a selfie photo contest, and the City of Huntsville’s Parks and Recreation Department will be following their lead with a similar social media campaign.
From July 4-31, Parks and Recreation will issue weekly challenges via the Huntsville Parks and Recreation Facebook page - to encourage Huntsvillians to get out and enjoy the parks and recreation facilities in their neighborhood and beyond. Participate by following the weekly theme (detailed below) and using the official hashtag #SuperParkSelfieHsv on Twitter and Instagram or by uploading a photo to the Huntsville Parks and Recreation Facebook page.
Weekly Facebook Live Sessions
The City of Huntsville’s Parks and Recreation department will be hosting weekly Facebook Live sessions every Thursday at 2 p.m. in the month of July. Each week, join in to discover a different Huntsville park, greenway or recreation center.
Weekly Selfie Prompts
- July 4-10: Selfie with nature!
- July 11-17: Selfie doing something healthy!
- July 18-24: Selfie with your friends and community at a rec center, park or greenway in Huntsville!
- July 25-31: Selfie showing your superhero side at a rec center, park or greenway
How to Participate
- Take a selfie in a Huntsville park or recreation area—make sure it follows the weekly theme.
- Submit it via the Huntsville Parks and Recreation Facebook page or by using the hashtag #SuperParkSelfieHsv on Twitter or Instagram.
- Mountain High Outfitters will give a $25 gift certificate to a weekly winner who best represents the weekly selfie prompt. All winners will be chosen by Mountain High Outfitters and announced via the Parks and Recreation Facebook page each Friday at 2:00 p.m. in the month of July
For more information, contact: