Within the American home and workplace, chairs are usually regarded as simple, utilitarian objects that provide seating and a modicum of comfort. The Art of Seating offers a fascinating historical survey of artistic, technical and engineering developments in American decorative styles. The exhibition includes more than 40 distinctive chairs selected from the Jacobsen American Chair Collection, and also takes the viewer into the design studio through patent drawings, documented upholstery, artist renderings and multimedia presentations.
Selections offer a stylistic journey in furniture with showstoppers by Frank Lloyd Wright, John Henry Belter, the Herter Brothers, the Stickley Brothers, Isamu Noguchi, Frank Gehry, and others. The exhibition also features contemporary designs by some of the biggest manufacturers such as Knoll, Herman Miller, and Steelcase.
- March 19, 2017 - June 18, 2017
- Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Location: 300 Church Street, Huntsville, AL
- Time: Sun 12 - 5 PM, Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat 11 AM - 5 PM, Thu 11 AM - 8 PM
- Price: Admission charged, PASSPORT DISCOUNT COUPON AVAILABLE AT DOWNTOWN VISITORS CENTER