June 11, 2019
(Huntsville, AL) – Huntsville’s public transit system is set to implement a number of improvements on July 1 following a comprehensive study of its operations. New routes, extended weekday hours, and Saturday service are part of a five-phase public transit improvement plan for the City’s transportation network.
Phase 1 implementation will bring changes to the fixed route bus network to reduce trip times and provide more direct service with fewer transfers. Highlights include:
- Fixed route bus services extended weeknights from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday fixed route service added from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Paratransit service for individuals with disabilities extended to same days and hours to match the new fixed route bus service
- Mobile apps for smartphones made available with “real-time” next bus information
- Streamlined routes: 131 new Bus Stop locations, and 37 underused route segments eliminated
- New North Huntsville Transit Center at the Dr. Richard Showers Community Center
- New Route 10 added in North Huntsville
Parking and Public Transportation Director Tommy Brown says the first phase of improvements focuses on riders who are transit dependent – individuals for whom the bus is their only option to get to and from work.
“This is a huge first step in meeting the basic needs of our riders,” said Brown. “It improves access to major employment centers as well provides greater access to shopping and recreation, and it helps reduce a rider’s travel time.”
Phases two through five, starting in 2020, will further improve route frequency to 30 minutes or less throughout the transit network. Stops along University Drive will shorten to 15 minutes.
“The future of Huntsville’s transportation plan is dependent upon its public transit system,” said Mayor Tommy Battle. “Until now, we’ve not had the density or resources to support an expanded transit network, but with the City’s growth, we’re finally able to start implementing some of the improvements our riders need and want.”
More information on the new routes in Huntsville Transit plan is available at HuntsvilleAL.gov/Huntsville Transit.