- Hall Ave
- Huntsville, AL 35810
Glenwood Cemetery replaced the original slave cemetery, known as “Georgia,” which had been established in 1818 and located north of the present Huntsville Hospital. Glenwood Cemetery was established in 1870 by the City of Huntsville following the purchase of 10 acres from the Benjamin W. Blake estate, originally a part of the John Brahan Plantation. Additional land was added in 1875 from the W.W. Darwin family, resulting in the current configuration. Distinguished African Americans buried here include veterans of America’s wars beginning with the Civil War, former slaves, accomplished artisans, professionals in many fields, clergymen, educators, entrepreneurs, politicians, and other leaders.