On the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, this exhibition looks back at...
Guided History Tours
Every spring and fall, the Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau shows off Huntsville and Madison through its free walking tours. Tours are guided by local experts and focus on the historic districts of both cities.
If you’re planning a visit to the area in April or October, you should definitely save room in your vacation itinerary for these annual free events. They’re popular for both visitors and locals. Plus, did we mention they’re free? No tickets or reservations are needed for walking tours. Just bring yourself (and your thirst for historical knowledge!)
SAVE THE DATES!
Five Points Historic District tour with guide Jan Williams. The tour will depart from the corner of Wells Avenue and Maple Hill Drive at 10 a.m. (GPS address: 811 Wells Ave SE, Huntsville, AL 35801).
Old Town Historic District tour with guides Mike and Cathy Self. The tour will depart from 120 Walker Avenue, Huntsville, AL 35801, at 10 a.m.
Are pets allowed? What about strollers?
- Yes! Leashed pets and strollers are welcome.
What should I bring?
- Whatever you're comfortable carrying! Water, sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and light snacks are always a good idea. Fall and spring weather can be unpredictable in Alabama, so be sure to check the weather ahead of time to dress accordingly.
Are restrooms available?
- Homes along the tour will not be open to the public, so it's best to use the restroom beforehand. Tours typically last between 1-1.5 hours.
What if it rains?
- If the weather is severe or there is heavy rain, the CVB will announce cancellations prior to the tour's departure via social media. There will be no replacement date scheduled. If you have questions regarding cancellations, call the Huntsville/Madison County Visitor Center at (256) 551-2370 (local) or toll-free at (800) SPACE-4-U.
- All Events
- Virtual Events
- Festivals & Annual Events
- Huntsville History Month
- Artemis Celebrations
- Submit Events