If you’ve ever wondered how you can show your support or join in the celebration for Pride month- whether you’re a member of the LGBTQ+ community or an ally- we’ve got a list for you!
- Attend any number of official Rocket City Pride events from family friendly skate nights, drag shows, an old fashioned field day to 18+ shows, after parties, a dating game, and much more!
- Support locally LGBTQ+ owned businesses- or LGBTQ+ affirming businesses. (Tip: visit Rocket City Rainbow Pages for a myriad of local affirming businesses.)
- Make a donation to your favorite LGBTQ+ organization. Pro Tip: local donations keep your dollars in the community. Consider a tax deductible donation to a local non profit such as Rocket City Pride. (Or a corporate sponsorship!)
- Educate yourself on an aspect of the community you aren’t as familiar with. Read an article about various gender identities or the definition of a pansexual orientation, or the history of tea dances. Watch a documentary about Stonewall, Matthew Shepard, or the tragedies of the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s. Leave this month with a little more knowledge than you began.
- Share affirming content on social media. This could be a picture, inspirational or educational blog or video, or simply comment your support on other’s posts.
- Hang a Pride flag or poster at your home or business to show your support for the community.
- Sport some Pride gear. Pride themed clothing and accessories can be found almost anywhere. Official Rocket City Pride merch can be ordered at www.rocketcitypride.com
No matter how you choose to celebrate, remember the most important rules of Pride:
This is a celebration of a courageous uprising in pursuit of equality. Countless lives have been lost to allow us the freedom to celebrate. Pride is an exercise in visibility and an opportunity to connect with kindred spirits.
Pride is about love and acceptance. Love is love. And love is the best thing we do. Let’s share it with all humanity.
Happy Pride, Huntsville!